Back to Architects

LEON BISHOP SENTER, FAIA (1889-1965)

Born: Morris, Johnson County, Kansas
Training: International Correspondence Schools, Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1910 (Architectural Engineering)
Oklahoma License: 1925-1965
Tulsa Practice: 1928-1965

PARTNERSHIPS

  • Smith, Rea, Lovitt & Senter, 1918-1924, Okmulgee, Oklahoma (Charles A. Smith, Frank S. Rea, Walter Y. Lovitt)
  • Smith & Senter, 1924-1928, Okmulgee
  • Smith & Senter, 1928-1933
  • Senter & Associates, 1933-1965

BUILDINGS

  • Orpheum Theater, Okmulgee, Oklahoma (1919)
  • Commerce Building, Okmulgee, Oklahoma (1921)
  • Carnegie Public Library, Okmulgee, Oklahoma (1922)
  • The Coliseum, west side of Elgin between 5th & 6th Street (1928) *
  • Philcade (Stanolind Building, Amoco) southeast corner 5th and Boston (1930)
  • University of Tulsa Stadium (Skelly Stadium) (1930)
  • Tulsa Fire Alarm Building, southeast corner 8th and Madison (1931)
  • Tulsa Municipal Airport Administration Building, northeast corner Sheridan and Apache (1932, Smith & Senter) *
  • Union Bus Depot, northeast corner 4th and Cincinnati (1935) *
  • Stanolind/Service Pipe Line Building (Atlantic Richfield Building) northwest corner 6th and Cincinnati (1949)
  • St. John’s Hospital, northeast corner 21st and Utica (1946 and 1956 Additions)
  • Will Rogers High School, 3909 East 5th Place (1938, J. R. Koberling and L. B. Senter, Associated Architects; A. M. Atkinson, Supervising Architect)
  • Booker T. Washington High School, 1631 East Woodrow Place (1950)
  • Downtown Tulsa YMCA, 515 S. Denver (1953)
  • From 1912 to 1918 Smith, Rea & Lovitt were in Kansas City, Missouri. Senter was regarded as the Dean of Oklahoma Architects. Senter was issued License # 1 when the licensing law went into effect in Oklahoma in 1925. He was the President of the State Board of Governors of Licensed Architects in Oklahoma and a charter member and past president of Oklahoma Chapter of AIA Tulsa.  Architects who first worked in Senter’s office included F. V. Kershner, J.R. Koberling, and W. Wolaver. The Philcade is on the National Register of Historic Places.

* demolished